Saturday 25 July 2015

NOT SO LONELY AFTER ALL


This photo was taken by friends while messing around in Valencia just before dinner. Key words are: messing around and friends. When I moved to Amsterdam last year I never had the fear of being alone. Most of my friends already lived in the city I was about to live in and my parents are practically around the corner, so homesickness never really came to mind. Now that I have arrived home in an empty house after spending almost two weeks with friends, I have the empty nest syndrome. It's like all my kids have left for university or something. It's absolutely astoundingly surprising how easily and fast you get used to having people around. 

Just like relationships. Some are here to stay, but most of them come and go. You meet someone truly great, have several good dates, everything is new and fresh, you hang out for several months and then somehow you wake up and just know that things changed. You can't put your finger on it. It's like you wake up without teeth and you don't need a mirror to know they're gone. You're slowly losing bits of the other one and eventually there's not much to hold on to anymore. At that moment you have to make the decision to either let it go and move on with your life, or you keep the hope up that something is going to change and the relationship is going to be the way it was before. Which - in my opinion - is never working. The time you've had together was great, but it was meant to end eventually. There will be someone else, and let's be honest. It's not so bad to be single!? Sometimes it can be lonely, but those are times when I'll just ring up my friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment